Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:Subway rider shot in the head by police files claim accusing officers of recklessly opening fire -VisionFunds
Johnathan Walker:Subway rider shot in the head by police files claim accusing officers of recklessly opening fire
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:31:25
NEW YORK (AP) — A lawyer for a New York City subway rider who was inadvertently shot in the head by police at a station has filed a legal claim against the city,Johnathan Walker accusing the officers of showing “carelessness and reckless” disregard for the lives of others when they opened fire on a man holding a knife in front of a train.
Gregory Delpeche, 49, suffered a brain injury when he was hit by a bullet while riding the L train to his job at a Brooklyn hospital last month, according to the notice of claim, which is the first step in filing a lawsuit against the city.
The two officers opened fire on the man with the knife, Derell Mickles, after he entered the station without paying and refused to drop the weapon. They pursued Mickles onto an elevated platform, and briefly onto the train itself, demanding he relinquish the knife and deploying Tasers that failed to stop him.
Bodycam video later showed Mickles ran in the direction of one of the officers on the platform, though stopped when they pulled out their firearms. When they opened fire, he was standing still with his back to the train near an open door, where several passengers could be seen.
In addition to Delpeche and Mickles, the bullets also wounded one of the officers and another bystander, a 26-year-old woman.
The legal notice, filed Thursday by lawyer Nick Liakas, alleges Delpeche was hit due to the officers’ “carelessness and reckless disregard of the lives, privileges, and rights of others” and says he is seeking $80 million in compensation.
It notes he “is currently suffering with multiple cognitive deficits including deficits in his ability to speak and to form words” and “remains confined to a hospital bed in a level-one trauma center.”
Liakas said that since the Sept. 15 shooting, Delpeche has been able to communicate “in few words, but with difficulty and delay.”
The city’s law department declined to comment.
Police officials have defended the officers’ actions. NYPD Chief of Patrol John Chell previously described the shooting as a “tragic situation” and said “we did the best we could to protect our lives and the lives of people on that train.”
Mickles pleaded not guilty from a hospital bed to charges including attempted aggravated assault on a police officer, menacing an officer, weapons possession and evading his subway fare.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 2 Nigerian brothers sentenced for sextortion that led to teen’s death
- Chiefs look built to handle Super Bowl three-peat quest that crushed other teams
- Taylor Swift spotted at first Chiefs game of season to support Travis Kelce
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Say Goodbye to Tech Neck and Wrinkles with StriVectin Neck Cream—Now 50% Off
- Persistent power outages in Puerto Rico spark outrage as officials demand answers
- Will Taylor Swift show up for Chiefs’ season opener against the Ravens on Thursday night?
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- USWNT star Alex Morgan announces retirement from soccer, second pregnancy
Ranking
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Nevada high court ends casino mogul Steve Wynn’s defamation suit against The Associated Press
- Linkin Park announces first tour since Chester Bennington's death with new female singer
- Inside Katy Perry's Dramatic Path to Forever With Orlando Bloom
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- NFL Week 1 picks straight up and against spread: Will Jets or 49ers win on Monday night?
- Linkin Park announces first tour since Chester Bennington's death with new female singer
- 'Face the music': North Carolina man accused of $10 million AI-aided streaming fraud
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Emma Roberts on the 'joy' of reading with her son and the Joan Didion book she revisits
Will Taylor Swift show up for Chiefs’ season opener against the Ravens on Thursday night?
Surfer Caroline Marks took off six months from pro tour. Now she's better than ever.
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
Red Lobster says it will soon exit bankruptcy protection after judge approves seafood chain’s sale
Commanders fire VP of content over offensive comments revealed in videos
Louisiana legislators grill New Orleans DA for releasing people convicted of violent crimes